Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Early Review of Season 5 Idols CD

As you all know, the Season Five Idols Compilation Album was released today and I had the chance to hear an early copy of it. Here's my review, song by song and Idol by Idol. Enjoy, if that's possible. The tracks are in order of the CD.

What About Love by Melissa McGhee- Several mini-melismas dot this rendition which shows more the limitations of McGhee's voice than any kind of embellishments. Dull rendition shows she never deserved to make it into the Top 12 over a superior singer such as Ayla Brown. However, it reminded me that Heart had some great songs that have gone forgotten. C-

Superstition by Bucky Covington- Wow, we get to hear Bucky's voice without it being drowned out by the band and backup singers. It's not bad. Of course, I can't compare it to his live performances since I could barely hear those, but Bucky definitely mumbles less and he has a pleasant growl to his voice. I don't know if it's enough to get him a recording contract, but with the right material, he could make a splash. Unfortunately, singing a Stevie Wonder song in rock style does little to showcase any potential country roots and Bucky might have done better singing something like "Oh Boy." Still, it was enjoyable. B-

I'm Every Woman by Mandisa- This is suprisingly bland and dull with a dreadful backing track that sounds terribly manufactured. Mandisa is no stranger to wailing, but plays it very vocally docile here, letting the back-up singers do most of the heavy lifting. She doesn't approach Martha Wash territory until the end of the song and she doesn't hold up well in comparison. The live version was much better. Doesn't bode well for a future recording contract. C

Wanted Dead or Alive by Chris Daughtry- I didn't expect to like this as much as I did, as this is not a favorite song of mine to begin with. Chris keeps both the shouting and the shaky vibrato calmed (though you can really hear the vibrato at some places and it could spell trouble down the road) Daughtry also does his own backing vocals and when they're multi-tracked together, they sound really great. This makes me almost want to hear what he could do with Fuel and a great songwriter like Carl Bell. Way to go, Chris. B+

Father Figure by Ace Young- I'm surprised Ace didn't insist on singing "Butterflies" for this compilation since he was so enamored of his own performance of it. You can tell this voice was worked on in the studio, but Ace's nasal quality still manages to shine through. If you really want to be entertained, get to the middle of the first chorus where Ace "improvises" over the backup singers. I promise you, it's a good laugh. Plus, Ace telling anyone he'll be their daddy is good enough to split a seam. He gets in some trademarked falsetto, but the song goes on much too long for someone like Ace and I found my mind wandering during it. C

Takin' It to the Streets by Taylor Hicks- Well, I finally got the benefit of hearing Taylor without the disturbance of polyester rubbing together and the verdict is.... Simon & Clive have their work cut out for them. Perhaps because this is a Doobies song that the Michael McDonald comparison would rear its ugly head more urgently, but the song is such a copy of that version that you may as well just seek out the original, as it's miles better. Taylor does this awful, growly thing with his vocals that I've noticed Katharine does, too. I'm guessing it's because they can't hit the note and to me, it really sounds like he can't sing and is trying to cover that fact. It pops up in spades on this song. Terrible saxophone interlude on the song, also. 19E and J Records are gonna have to buy up a lot of copies of Taylor's CD to fudge the numbers based on this. D

Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Lisa Tucker- Yikes. I imagine this is what those Kidz Bop CDs must sound like. Tucker is so multi-tracked and buried under back-up singers, but when her vocal stands on its own, it's really amateurish. She'd have been a great guest vocalist on "Saved by the Bell." Let's hope for her sake that lioness costume still fits. F


Walkin' After Midnight by Kellie Pickler- I would have preferred "Fancy" but, oh well. Oh wow, this is already a mess and Pickler hasn't even started singing. They've turned the song into a bluesy, slutty, strippery honky tonk number that should probably be sung while dancing on a pole. Pickler doesn't stand a chance with this arrangement. I hate the way she pronounces the word "searching." It sounds like See-iiirching. It's bad Tanya Tucker and multi-tracked to the teeth. I hope the tour figures in a pasties budget. D


Moody's Mood For Love by Elliott Yamin- Wow. I knew this would be great, but it's wonderful to hear the full version. Yamin is in fine vocal form, sounding just as amazing as he did live. My one complaint is this version is too R&B. Elliott has the chops to be a terrific jazz vocalist but I know he has stated that if he gets to make an album, he wants it to be in the R&B vein. The problem is that no one buys or plays or listens to that style of music these days. R&B has morphed into hip-hop and rap and I fear Elliott would get lost in the shuffle. Still, anyone hearing this track would have to agree who the best singer this season is by a wide mile. A

Think by Katharine McPhee- Or should I call it "Thank," since that's how McPhee is pronouncing it. I feel the same way about this as I did the first time I heard her sing it on the show. She's a milky white girl trying to be funky and fails miserably at it. Her vocals are decent and she keeps the melisma on a short leash until the end but if I wanted to hear Doris Day sing Lady Marmalade, then I'd have pulled her ass out of retirement and paid her to record it. You can hear the backup singers snickering "phony white bitch" as they outsing McPhee. Katharine is not every woman, so she needs to stop singing like she is. C

Midnight Train to Georgia by Paris Bennett- Why they wouldn't have Paris sing "These Foolish Things," is a mystery, since this was a dreadful performance live and it's even worse on record. Paris sounds like she's not so much singing than voicing a cartoon cow for a Disney movie. She also has no clue as to what she's singing about here, just oversinging, shrieking and dirtying up the melody with melismas and shouting. Paris is no Gladys Knight, but she could have a great career in a few years as a jazz singer. Let's hope she realizes her potential and doesn't subject us to the many wigs of Paris Bennett. D

When I Fall in Love by Kevin Covais- There isn't quite the disconnect here as there is in other songs by the younger contestants, but it has a slight high school production of Grease quality to it. That being said, Covais acquits himself nicely on this song, outdoing many of the contestants that outlasted him on the show. I don't know that he's ever going to do anything in the business with his poindexter looks, but he's got a good voice for stage and I could see him carving out a nice musical theatre career with some vocal training. This was a great way for him to go out of the show and hearing this, I'm sorry he won't be getting to go on the tour. He'd be a much more welcome addition than Lisa Tucker. B

So there you have it. Is the disc worth purchasing? Not really, but in this day and age when you can buy individual tracks, digitally, why not choose your favorite Idol and support them by purchasing their tracks singularly. That might send a message to the producers where the money really lies.

In order from 1-12 Best to Worst

1- Moody's Mood for Love by Elliott Yamin
2- Wanted Dead or Alive by Chris Daughtry
3- When I Fall in Love by Kevin Covais
4- Superstition by Bucky Covington
5- What ABout Love by Melissa McGhee
6- I'm Every Woman by Mandisa
7- Think by Katharine McPhee
8- Father Figure by Ace Young
9- Takin' It to the Streets by Taylor Hicks
10- Walkin' After Midnight by Kellie Pickler
11- Midnight Train to Georgia by Paris Bennett
12- Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Lisa Tucker

1 Comments:

Blogger J.D. said...

Just picked up my copy of it. Yeah...I'm a sap for buying it. But y'know...what the heck. I'm probably just going to have Scott Savol sign it next week anyway.

I'm tired. Tonight's recap was tough to write!

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home